Sunday, January 30, 2011

What I'm reading: January


In an effort to practice more mindful eating, I picked up the Omnivore's Dilemma to learn a little bit more about food today. Pollan explores many aspects of the food market today: from industrial corn-growing, to harvesting wild mushrooms. He spends a large chunk of the book at a small farm, learning how one man strives to create food as nature designed it. Each animal and plant takes part - in turns nourishing and being nourished by the land. Animals are allowed to freely graze, plants are grown and fertilized naturally, rather than with chemicals. It's a clear example of how a small, natural farm is still able to produce bounty. It's a fairly long book, with a ton of information in it, but if the topic is interesting (as it was to me) I'd recommend it! Definitely eye-opening. (Fair warning though - might make you feel a bit squirmish in some parts.)

2 comments:

  1. Have you watched Food, Inc. at all? I think he has great insight on the food industry and what we're really putting in our bodies--also he'll be on Oprah this tuesday. Haven't read his book yet, but I might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't but I'm gonna check it out now!

    ReplyDelete