Friday, April 27, 2012

Half Dome


Hiking Half Dome has been on my "to-do" list for a couple of years now. My dad mentioned a while ago that he would like to hike it before he dies. After doing a little bit of research on it, I decided I wanted to too. Last year, we procrastinated and never got permits for it. This year I was determined to make this happen. I wanted to challenge myself! A few family members all said they wanted to hike it too. I nagged my dad every week or so to apply for permits. Finally in mid-March, we sat down and planned our trip. By that time, hotels in Yosemite were fully booked until late September. Whoops. September it is. So we made reservations and picked a weekend to apply for permits. Permits are given out on a lottery basis, with only 400 allotted each day. I was a little nervous that we wouldn't be approved, but a few weeks ago we got news that we were good to go! At nearly 9,000 feet, this 14-16 mile hike is gonna be brutal. Gotta work on that training! 

1 comment:

  1. How awesome! I hiked half dome with my brother once, but if I remember it was right before 10th grade and we only had a disposable camera. haha. I'd love to do it again; it's quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete