Thursday, January 14, 2010

Resolutions

Every year I make resolutions. I don't always meet them all, but I feel like having goals is never a bad thing. This year is no exception (yes, I realize it's two weeks into the new year, but "being more prompt about blogging my resolutions" isn't on my list.)

So here's what I'm hoping to work on:

A job with better hours and/or better pay
Both would be awesome.

Become financially independent
I can't afford to pay all my own bills right now, but I'm hoping to reach that point by the end of this year.

Open a retirement account
Sounds very adult-y.

Focus my money on experiences rather than possessions
Everytime I take out money from the ATM, it's gone before I know it. I want to rein in my spending in hopes of being able to take a great vacation with my friends and one with my family.

Experiment more with my outfits
I have a lot of clothes, but I don't wear a majority of them. If I'm going to be shopping less, I'm going to have to be more creative with what I have. I want to get the confidence to wear the pieces that have never seen the light of day in my closet (hello, trench coat) and mix and match clothes that I would have never thought of wearing together.

Clean out/replace makeup drawer
Since I don't wear much makeup, my makeup drawer is cluttered with long forgotten compacts and shadows. I need to clear out the junk and replace them.

Keep in touch with friends
Since I graduated college, it's been hard to stay in touch with everyone. We live all over the state now. I'd like to get better at calling them (vs. texting them) and hopefully planning a trip to see them.

Continue going to the gym 4-5 times/week
I was NEVER athletic as a kid and in college you couldn't pay me to step foot in the gym. But after I graduated, I needed something to do with my time, so my dad signed me up for the gym. And now that it's become a habit, I find it a lot easier to keep up with.

Improve my health/diet
In addition to going to the gym, I'd like to clean up my diet. I'd also like to get back in the habit of using reusable water bottles, instead of plastic bottles. Just a small change that will help me drink more water while wasting less.

Turn off the tv
I watch too much tv. I made a list of all my "must-see" shows, and realized that I was still watching some of them because I liked them in previous seasons, but wasn't really feeling them anymore (ahem, grey's anatomy). I also need to just stop having the tv on in the background. Watching any of the marathons bravo has on is not the best use of my time. I could be doing a million other things with that time: going for a walk, reading a book, calling a friend...etc.


Whew! That list kept growing. But I think they're all good aspirations. I might try to give monthly (-ish) updates to hold myself accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment